Fees, Accommodation, Studies, Application



Standard fees for 24 months are :

  • € 15,000 for non EU+student
  • € 10000 for EU+students (member states of the European Union + Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norwey and Turkey)


Some costs may be funded by certain French embassies or within the framework of agreements between certain international institutions

Compulsory basic medical insurance is about € 215 /year (covering 70% of medical treatment). An additional heathcare  cover is strongly recommended for a remaining 30 (€200/year approx.)

About IMT Mines Ales

What kind of degrees are available at IMT Mines Ales?

IMT Mines Ales is part of the prestigious Institute Mines-Télécom. IMT Mines Alès is a graduate Institute of Engineering and Applied Science in Alès, southern France. About us Established in 1843, the University’s original function was to train mining engineers, However, having adapted to the needs of modern day industry, it is now an instute for multidisciplinary engineering, covering areas from civil engineering and risk management to information systems and nuclear engineering
The University specializes in the following areas of study:


  • • Civil Engineering
  • • Engineering of Materials and Mechanics
  • • Information engineering
  • • Management of Risks and Environment
  • • System and production engineering
  • • Mining

The University offers bachelor, master and doctoral degrees.

More information  : http://www.mines-ales.fr/international

Do I need a French credit card ?

You do not need to have it. However, the card required to ease your work. As per IMT Mines Ales agreement with the LCL bank, you will get an opportunity to open a bank account for free, which includes also your credit card.  

Do I need a French social insurance ?

Yes, the French social insurance is a mandatory issue in France. You will be instructed in the beginning of your study.

Where can I find information on what to visit in Ales ?

After the selection process you will be advised to easiest ways to reach Ales. Moreover, we advise you the following websites concerning the sightseeing around Ales https://www.ales.fr/ http://www.cevennes-tourisme.fr/

Am I allowed to work as a student ?

Yes, it’s allowed, however, it’s rather difficult to find a part time job in Ales (due to the fact that courses are from Monday to Friday) and the low number of touristic activities (e.g. restaurant on winter in Ales or in the neighborhood.

There are many questions before arrival: residence permit, insurance and other important issues. Where do I find information about the things that must be considered before arrival ?

The studies start in the beginning of October each year. 3-4 days before the starting date, which about you will be informed, would be better for you to arrive and settle. We will help you for the for the first steps of formalities During the first week, all the administrative issues will be taken in consideration (and the secretariat office will provide you some support). For instance, we’ll organize for you (at the University) meetings with insurance companies, bank, immigration office etc..

Where do I have to go first when I arrive in Ales ?

You have to inform us (two weeks in advance) about your flight schedule and we’ll provide you some information about the travel from Paris to our University. In some cases, we’ll also capable to with for you at the Ales Railway station.


How do I get to the University ?

Alès, the site of our main campus, is an industrial centre of the Occitanie, region in southern part of France. It is located between the Cévennes National Park and the Mediterranean Sea. Alès benefits from excellent road, rail and air links with the rest of France. It is around 70 km from Montpellier-Méditerranée airport, accessible by several highways  and by rail, with links to the TGV (high speed train) network in neighbouring Nîmes. Other closest airports are in Nimes, and Marseille.

Does the University have accommodation on the campus ?

Yes, the student accommodation is managed by Alumni (the Association of former students of IMT Mines Ales).  The student accommodation includes both the houses and a several communal areas with a laundry room, washing machines, dryers, games room, television room, etc. The student accommodation is located around 2 km from the IMT Mines Ales (easily feasible by walk or bus, or, by bicycle and other student’s car which is quite friendly. Student residence is also available during summer holidays. The parking is available in the campuses, which is secured by security cameras and have access only by student’s card.
At the University, various associations and clubs are available to students (photography, humanitarian work, astronomy) as well sports teams (rugby, football, basketball, etc.) encouraging team spirit and cooperation.

Is there a canteen at the University ?

Yes, there are two places to eat at the University (café and canteen). Canteen at the University provides meals.  University facilities tend to be good value for money. Vegetarian food is available at the canteen

What is it advised to bring with ourselves for accommodation ?

Internet cable, bed sheet for single bed is required when you arrive in your student residence.

Where can I buy essential items ?

There are several stores in Ales, where you can buy all necessary items you need. The closest shopping center is about 1km from the student residence (walking distance). Despite that, there are Second Hand stores available in the city.

What is the accommodation like ?

The rooms are individual and include a single bed, a wardrobe, a desk, a bathroom with shower, sink and toilet. Some rooms in the student accommodation are also equipped with kitchenettes. There are 3 kinds of rooms in the student residence (Maison des Eleves): Simplex, Duplex and Studios. Depending on the criteria their sizes, equipment and prices differ. Studios are generally not available at the beginning of the course.
All rooms have bathroom with shower, sink and toilet, which are private.
Accommodation at the students’ residence costs about 400 Euros per month. (there are potential scholarships for accommodation). For more information: please contact : admission-damage @mines-ales.fr

What is the cost of living like for students living in IMT Mines Ales ?

The living expenses in Ales are about 500 euros per month (including rent and food). The total living expenses should not exceed 7,000 Euros per year (transport  food and accommodation).

Where can I find the most up to date information about Master program courses ?

We are in social media like Facebook, Twitter; you also can use the Master Damage course and University websites in the following links. http://master-disaster-management.com https://www.mines-ales.fr

Studies on the Master Disaster Management

What are the entry requirements for the Master Disaster Management and Environmental Impact ?

All student must apply on the following platform : https://msc.mines-telecom.asia where they can upload the profile (CV, copy passport, 2 letters of recommendation).
The Disaster Management course is open to both those who are entering direct from their undergraduate studies and those are already in employment. Your degree qualifications will be checked and verified once IMT Mines Ales receive your application.

Minimum entry requirements are:
• Applicants must hold a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree in the field of engineering (chemistry, mechanics, environmental sciences, logistics)
• Applications with the first experience of 10 years in industry are also eligible.

What the English language qualifications do I need? Will my English be tested ?

Proven English proficiency either via: Native language, Bachelors’ degree taught in English, English proficiency tests such as TOEFL IBT 105, IELTS 6.5, TOEIC 800, Cambridge CAE. 
You should provide English language certificates when you upload your profile on the platform. Your language level will be identified during an interview.
There is no mandatory for the Master Damage to speak French. But if you are looking for a part-time job, the French language is required.

What is the language of teaching ?

The whole Master Damage is instructed in English. Teaching and grading for all classes are taught in English within small groups. Moreover, some French courses are offered for student during the first semester.

Can I visit the University before the Intake ?

Yes it’s completely possible. For that purpose,  please contact : admission-damage@mines-ales.org and we’ll arrange an appointment

Do I have to take exams during my courses? What kind of exams? When are the exams ?

Exams are conducted in English as well. Yes, there will be exams throughout the course. The whole Master Disaster Management program consists of 10 modules and there are oral, verbal exams and case study presentation at the end of each module. 
The teaching modules include up to 120 ECTS credits. The program is two years as follows:

  • • M1 year consists of Module 1 to Module 6: 60 credits
  • • M2 year consists of Module 7 to Module 9: 30 credits. It includes a  Master internship (6 months) that represents 30 credits also .

It’s not possible to choose or select modules (they are all mandatory and strictly ordered to have the diploma).

Once I completed my studies, when do I have my transcript ?

The provisional transcript is rapidly available. The final official document is available after few months after the completion of the studies.

What can I do after I have graduated ?

Graduates of the Disaster Management MSc will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to seek employment in a range of areas including:

  • emergency planning (e.g. in government, in the companies, in the different organizations like international bodies national and local level (e.g  the police or the fire brigade);
  • hazard analysis for insurance companies;
  • catastrophe analysis for risk consulting companies;
  • humanitarian aid and relief work;
  • volcanology, seismology or landslide engineering;
  • environmental geography/geology;
  • town and rural planning;
  • various government organizations such as the Met Office (eg weather forecaster) or the Environment Agency (eg flood analyst);
  • Research and teaching.
  • PhD studies.

The main job is Disaster program manager (but Job opportunities are : Disaster recovery Manager, Regional emergency coordinator, Disaster program manager, Disaster recovery specialist, Disaster Assistance general planner, Disaster recovery coordinator etc..).

Is it possible to stay in France after I have graduated ?

Yes it’s possible: The, yo can apply for APS (Autorisation Provisoire de Séjour). The Stay back offered varies from nationality to nationality) 
Once you have completed the course (get attestation de jury or attestation de réussite from the school), apply for APS at your prefecture as soon as possible with the following documents (passport, proof of address, diploma etc..)

When do classes start ?

Classes start each year in October. All information related to the registration at the University will be provided to you in the first weeks of your studies. (e.g. username and password from IMT Mines Ales, insurance, immigration,)


How to know if I’m eligible ?

When you apply for Master Damage program, you must have a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree in the field of engineering (environmental sciences, logistics, and management) or sciences (chemistry, mechanics). Applicants with the first experience in the industry are also eligible. A proof of English level is also mandatory.
Your application will be reviewed by the administration and you will be contacted by email or phone about the results.

Where and when do I find the application information for the Master program ?

Applications are open from January to September each year on the following platform : https://msc.mines-telecom.asia. The final deadline for application is September 10.  
All applications will be made online (there is no fee for application). Some documents must be scanned and uploaded. After receiving your application, we will schedule your admission interview session via skype or WhattsApp. After approval, the applicant will receive a first application letter saying that the candidature is accepted. This letter includes all the bank information from IMT Miens Ales. The candidate has to pay 500 € (the first payment) and upload a proof of bank transfer. After this phase, the candidate receives the final letter (suitable for visa application).
There is one intake per year. It’s possible to defer your intake (your acceptation letter is valid one year).

Do I need a Visa ?

A student visa is required to study in France. After you’ve bee accepted (and you have the final letter in hand), the student has to start the visa process with the French Embassy or campus France. Once, you have applied, you can expect 15 to 25 days for the final decision. Please take note some fees (depending of countries). The visa application requires to prove that you have the available resources to support yourself (from an external source or from the student’s bank account). If you have a dual nationality (Europe and outside Europe) we advise you to use your European passport.

Are there scholarships ?

Yes, there are scholarships for the accommodation (housing and food) directly available at IMT Mines Ales. IMT Mines Ales has some collaboration with companies that have the potential to provide some other scholarships. The admission office can also provide you some information about this purpose.

What are the fees ?

Standard fees for 24 months are:

  • € 15,000 for non-EU student
  • € 10,000 for EU students (member states of the European Union + Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Turkey).

A first down payment will be done no later than one month after the provisional acceptation letter. However after this down payment remaining amount will be paid no later than September First. A proof of payment will be given by the secretariat.

Does the University accept alternative qualifications (professional experience) for Master program degree courses ?

 Yes, for the Master of Science, the admission board accepts a professional experience of 10 years. IMT Mines Ales is a “grandes Ecoles” (a University of Technology) that requires a minimum background in Science (maths, physics etc..). However, the Msc Disaster Management includes a limited number of course where math, physics or engineering sciences are intensively used.

Is a year in industry part of the course (internship) ?

The Master Disaster Management involves a 6 months internship. This mandatory internship is done on year 2 (from Mars to August). This internship can be made in France or abroad in a company, in an SME, a research lab, in an international institution or an NGO.


I want to upload the document on the IMT Platform, what file type of document is required ?

The candidature of the online platform is free. When you upload your candidature, the following document smust be uploaded : recent photography, copy of the passport, CV, high school certificate, bachelor’s level degree certificate, certified transcripts of records, detailed syllabus of the Bachelor course; English language test document, two letters of recommendation

Please email admission-damage@mines-ales.fr, where you will be forwarded.

see other FAQ